Monday, February 14, 2011

Other Writing News: The One Who Sees

I've recently been in contact with an e-publisher on a short novella I submitted to them.  The One Who Sees was accepted back in September 2009, and now I have my first batch of edits to work on it. 

For those interested in the process, I will give a few details.

Most of these were minor edits, such as grammar.  I'm surprised because the more I learn about grammar in my writing tutor job, the more I am sure I don't know.  But I must have picked up quite a bit a long the way somewhere. ;-)  Anyway, though I looked over the changes, I mostly clicked the Accept button in Word.  Only when a rewording was needed did I not use the change.

Besides the minor edits, there were a few larger concerns, such as a making a villainous creature a little more real.  Another was to expand the ending. A little harder to fix than clicking a button, but I'm working on that.

My concern is the big edit.  You see, TOWS comes in about 17,800 words, which according to the SFWA guidelines is just barely a novella.  The editor would like to see it longer if possible, ending up at 20,000 - 25,000 words.  I'll look at it, but to add 2,000 - 7,000 words, you have to do more than just add a few enriching details; you have to change the story, add plot or events.  I'm not so sure I can comply with this one.  Cutting I could probably do.  Adding?  That is much harder.  I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment